Sunday, August 28, 2011

Hurricanes and other major “Events”

 

Well, Hurricane Irene has left her mark on the east coast of the USA. Having lived in Florida a great deal of my life and now residing in Massachusetts…..I can explain some differences.

Northern “Hams,” for the most part are super willing to deal with Snow/Ice….. but have no clue about Major Blows! In Florida…when a storm approaches….people board up…stock up …and hold up….. In New England….they get stupid….don’t do anything because they think all is well. Until you have experienced hell, one has ZERO/NADA/ZILCHO idea how to handle it…but where the hell did common sense go? Out the window at Dorathy’s QTH in the Wizard of Oz? Mary, Jesus AND Joseph….Just board up and get smart…..

Watching TV of the peeps in Rhode Island, did you see those dolts? Just 10+ foot waves….and where the hell were the parents of those brainless fools? Anyway, I digress!

Speaking of towers….. I have a handful of ham ‘acquaintances” up here that simply put their towers up on a pure “cheap” budget, and guess what? YEP! TIMBER!!!! Idiots! Putting a tower up cheaply and without real thought is like driving in NYC without your seat belts on….WHAT ARE YOU THINKING??? Anyway…..

I am VERY happy I OVER ENGINEER EVERYTHING at the BAA QTH….. over size guys….oversize concrete blocks…. super larger than needed turnbuckles…. VERY LARGE Hardware etc….. Granted, I have some BIG ASS ANTENNAS (BAA <smiling>)… to hold up…but it is my big ASS up on the tower doing the work….. and sometimes my son…Do you think I want something happening to him? NO!…SO…….everyone who may read this…. get off your duff and inspect your towers/antennas and ENSURE they are 140% safe!!!

Worrying about them is NO NO NO fun when a storm hits….. Towers should last in well over 100 MPH winds….and if the antennas come off….SO BE IT!! But your tower should NOT fall…unless you have trees near it and in that case I blame you again… CUT THEM ALL DOWN TOO!!!! LOL….

All in all, I am very happy to have made it through yet another storm….. but then again…..I knew damn good and well it wasn’t going anywhere!

 

Until next time!….

Jose N4BAA

Your Chief Elmer!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment