Wednesday, December 23, 2020

WEB SDR CAMO FAKE OPERATORS

 Hello DXers....

Today I was HIGHLY disappointed in finding out a ham acquaintance has ben using a web based SDR (Software defined Radio) to RECEIVE with to hear stations HE could not hear from his home QTH.... 

Ethically, I have an issue with this and "HEAR" is why....

This morning I was using PSKReporter to check where Asian stations were being heard...and I said, "LOOK!... here is a station in VA who can hear 9V1YC, UA0LL, VR2WKL, YB... etc) and no one else can (not even me <smiling>)... And since he had PSKReporter TURNED ON... it was easy to see how well HIS station was "supposedly" hearing.. 

Well, when you report you are hearing those station above +3 to +11... you AIN'T using YOUR antennas. Not MY opinion... FACT... I have been low band DXing for over 40 years.... 

When I called him out on it.. he claimed he has not worked any new zones or countries using WEB SDR to receive with.....

Hmmmmm well.... How does the CQ or ARRL award desk know this? THEY DON'T!! SO, a logical person would have to assume all the zones and countries they have on the low band are suspect, and thus, ETHICALLY don't count.

I have saved the communications between us and I will forward them to the appropriate people who need to know.....

Yes! You can use Remote QTH and web based SDRs.....of course... AND YES!...you can submit for awards,.... just be FREAKING DAMN sure you ETHICALLY do the RIGHT THING and claim them as such and don't try to make it LOOK like your not so super station did the work...Why?

Because it did not!... 

Unethical operating is terrible and damages our Radio Sport. I despise those who do things without knowing the unintended OR INTENDED results...

From the now SDR ham shack..... in God's Country of Indiana.......

73, be safe, and Merry Christmas!

Jose

N4BAA

No comments:

Post a Comment