Thursday, September 9, 2021

EME QSO

 Hello Everyone,

This week I did something I have not done in my 44 years of hamming!

I have been interested in Earth Moon Earth (EME) communication since I was a kid and I tried early in the 80's to make a contact, but could not.

With the advent of technology and a improved antennas, I made an EME QSO this past week!

I have been set up to receive signals bouncing off the moon for about a month and have had really good success decoding signals via Q65-60A mode from US, VK, ZL, JA, UA, UR, G, TI etc...  but my new 6 meter amplifier is not here yet so I did not dare TX with only 100 watts! 

But one evening speaking to Lance, W7GJ in the EME chat room, he let me know that with my large 9L antenna, he should still be able to hear me. REALLY? No way! So,..... I started transmitting at my moonset, and what do you know? Lance heard me, gave me a report and my first EME was history!

This is an amazing mode! Why EME? I only need one more country (P5) to have them all, and I only need a handful of zone on 6m to have all 40.

Also, having 36+ CQ WAZ awards, and I also chase Russian Districts and 6M FFMA grids, but... in between all that ....  I need something to keep me busy... SO.... 

6M EME provides another mode to collect more zones AND countries on 6M. 

I currently have 150 DXCC countries on 6M all via sporadic Es and unless we have a really good F2 year, the 'other' zones are not possible. I need 8 more CQ zones on 6M to have all 40 and this may help.

If you haven't tried EME on 6M try it. You do not need elevation control, just point at the moon on the horizon during your moon rise or moon set and have fun. 1KW helps but obviously you can still make a QSO or two with the really big stations on the air.

Have fun and I hope to see you off the moon soon! Amp will be here in 4 weeks!

Jose

N4BAA

MR. DX and Head Mentor

No comments:

Post a Comment