Sunday, May 2, 2010

RTTY MACROS AND CONTESTING

After having just finished the NAQP RTTY in the M/2 category, I felt compelled to write some notes about operators and their macros.

RTTY contesting more so than any other contesting mandates keeping things as short as possible for the given band conditions. Their is nothing worse than "RUNNING" in a contest, acknowledge a station and give his report.... to only have him respond with MY CALL THREE times......HIS CALL three time....MY REPORT three times....and then repeat MY CALL three times....HIS CALL three times and turn it over!

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD......PLEASE get the message and quit this practice....

If you are an RTTY contester and are in S&P mode... do NOT repeat the other stations call more than ONE TIME MAXIMUM! ONE TIME! There is no reason for it. IF conditions are crappy, then repeat the report only 2 or 3 times..but not the calls! I assure you, they got it!

I have spoken a LOT about having good ELMERS these days...and the lack thereof, but it is true. SO....look at the top scorers and emulate what they do! There is much to be learned from the great ones!

Before a contest, LOOK up the REQUIRED EXCHANGE and set your macros up accordingly! Send ONLY what is called for. .....Meaning...if NO RST is required...DON'T SEND IT!.... If your name is not part of the OFFICIAL exchange...DON'T SEND IT.....

This hobby has much to offer everyone...... so for those who are out to obtain the best score they can.... (ESPECIALLY in RTTY)...keep it short....and MOVE ON!

One more thing that chaps by key...is when I am calling CQ and someone answers not only with their call 2 or 3 times, but then goes right into my report ect (BEFORE I HAVE EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE THEM).... I have a special SHAME macro that goes like this....

Let's say KG4SB is calling me and is guilty of the above example.... I WILL TAKE TIME to let them know....

KG4SB..VERY POOR OPERATING TO GIVE MY EXCHANGE BEFORE I EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE YOU. PLEASE TRY IT AGAIN THE CORRECT WAY.
N1BAA CQ

They normally don't call back, but they do get the message... I receive a LOT of emails after the contest regarding this...but since this is a hobby, I don't mind losing 2 QSOs for the sake of educating someone on the proper way to respond. I got my ass yanked up a few times when I was a youngster at the age of 13 to 15 when I first started contesting....and I FULLY remember having to LEARN on the FLY! HI HI

Bottom line is have fun...but have fun by KNOWING you are operating correctly...
This is not simply the "BAA" way...but IS the correct way to operate. I think we all want to be considered good operators...and you can't be one unless your actions show you operate like one!

AND never type PLEASE COPY...are you kidding me?

Until the next post contest rant.... 73 and God bless.

If you have question or suggestion on a topic for me to consider... shoot me off an
Email and I'll do my thing!

Jose - N4BAA
ex: N1BAA, KG4SB, YI9BAA, VP5BAX

No comments:

Post a Comment